Saturday 7 July 2012

Squidgy Chocolate Muffin Cakes

I am so pleased I finally get to share this recipe with you. I created these little squidgy chocolate cakes back in my university days, a sort of muffin-brownie hybrid. I had the recipe saved on my laptop, which later went and died on me. I had my uni work back up but feared the recipe lost forever. However, last weekend I was looking back through my family’s old computer archives when I discovered a file called ‘Katie Laptop Backup.’ It turns out my Dad had taken a copy of all my files shortly before my laptop died, not just my uni work. Hidden amongst the essays and coursework was this recipe – hurrah! Thank you Dad! I was so excited and set about baking them at once.

They are just as good as I remember, despite now baking them using gluten free flour. They have a slightly chewy top crust which hides a squidgy chocolate middle, reminiscent of a brownie and then a cakey base. They are quite rich and packed with dark chocolate flavour.

The recipe only makes 6 cakes, created at a time when dark chocolate, butter and eggs seemed ridiculously expensive for a student, but I’m sure the recipe would double up easily. The rather shocking thing about these cakes is the temperature they are baked at – 200C. This means they only have 10-12 minutes in the oven and helps create the top surface while maintaining a soft and gooey centre. It’s not uncooked batter, more brownie like.

I also added a few white chocolate drops as decoration, which added little blobs of melty chocolate and a little sweetness. I shared them with my family and they were devoured in one sitting (there were 5 of us) with the last one being fought over. I’ve already been asked to make them again. My Dad wants me to try baking them with some cherries in the centre – sounds good to me!

Squidgy Chocolate Muffin Cakes
(Apple & Spice own recipe)
Ingredients
65g dark chocolate
110g butter
1 egg
½ tbsp rapeseed oil
60g gluten free plain flour (I used Doves Farm) (‘normal’ plain flour works too)
80g caster sugar
12g cocoa powder
½ tsp instant coffee (optional)
½ tsp baking powder
24 white chocolate chips/small chunks

Method
Preheat the oven to 200C (yes, really that hot). Line a muffin tin with 6 paper cases.
In a small pan, melt the dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee (if using) and butter together until melted and glossy. Set aside to cool slightly.
Whisk together the egg, oil and sugar until it has turned slightly thicker and become moussy in texture, about 2 minutes.
Add the flour and baking powder and beat again.
Add the melted chocolate mixture and beat again briefly. The mixture will suddenly become very thick and glossy, this is how it should be.
Divide the mixture between the muffin cases and add 4 white chocolate drops or chunks on top of each one. Press them down until nearly submerged in the cake batter.
Bake for 12 minutes. They will be slightly risen with a crisp top surface, but still soft in the centre.
Leave them to cool in the tins for at least 20 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. They will sink slightly on cooling due to their soft centres.
Store in an airtight container and eat within 3 days.
Makes 6 cakes – easily doubled

5 comments:

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

Mmmm. Going to try these next week. They look fab. I like the idea of the cherries too!

Paloma said...

Those look really good! TFS!

Caroline said...

They look great - yay for dads and their propensity for backing things up! It's so nice to find something you thought was gone forever!

the caked crusader said...

Wow -what a texture. They look delicious

Johanna GGG said...

great story - I am sure that your dad was very pleased he had backed up your computer when he had one of these - they look scrumptious