Monday 18 February 2008

A MeMe About Me

Elle of Feeding my Enthusiasms has tagged me for a Meme.

INSTRUCTIONS:
Select five people to tag - mine are:
1) A Slice of Cherry Pie – Julia
2) Chunterings – Carolyn
3) A Sweet Tart – Pixie
4) Straight Into Bed Cakefree and Dried - Naomi
5) Green Gourmet Giraffe - Johanna

Next, send them an e-mail or let them know by commenting on their blog that they have been tagged. They are then encouraged to select 5 different bloggers and to tag them.Here are the things to blog about and my answers:

What were you doing 10 years ago?
10 years ago I was in the final year of prep school and feeling quite grown up to be one of the oldest in the school. The next term I became the youngest in the high school and felt very small and overwhelmed.

What were you doing 1 year ago?
I was in my second year of university and had just secured my placement job for September. This left me feeling thrilled at having got a job and also terrified about a year doing a ‘real’ job. I was also beginning to revise for my summer exams.

Five snacks you enjoy:
1) Apples – there is something so satisfying about biting into a crisp fresh apple. The crunch sound as you bite into it and the sweet refreshing juice that fills your mouth.
2) Dried fruit – prunes, apricots, mango and apples in particular. I love there intense flavour and sticky chewiness.
3) A slice of fresh bread, either a soft chewy white with jam or nutella or a dense flavoursome rye with cream cheese. Mmmmm
4) Cake and lots of it. I have yet to find a cake I do not like, although carrot cake is a particular favourite.
5) Rice crackers with seaweed or spices – I love there saltiness and crunchiness.

Five things you would do if you were a millionaire:
1) Buy a nice, but not over the top house and design by dream kitchen with walk in pantry, big oven, double fridge, lots of space and kitchen gadgets galore.
2) Set up my own little cake and bake shop – a dream I someday hope to make a reality.
3) Visit some foodie countries and samples different cuisines and cultures.
4) Give some of it to my family to do with as they wished
5) Buy copious amounts of kitchen gadgets.

Five bad habits:
1) Putting off things I don’t want to do, telling myself I will do them tomorrow.
2) Eating too many cakes or cookies after baking them – just to make sure they are ok.
3) Being lazy with the washing up – sometimes it sits there for 2-3 days before I do it all in one go – yes I know I’m awful!
4) Not keeping in regular contact with old friends.
5) Adding recipes to my ‘must try’ pile and then not making them for months, if not years.

Five things you like doing:
1) Baking - what a surprise!
2) Reading/buying cookery books – surprise number two!
3) Browsing round kitchen shops, I could spend hours getting lost in these.
4) Going for a walk in new places – I love exploring new places, wandering what’s round the next corner or clump of rocks. A light breeze, beautiful scenery and only the sheep for company.
5) Blogging and reading other food blogs – they are such a source of inspiration and allow you to dip into other cultures and learn about foods I might not otherwise have known existed.

Five things you would never wear again:
1) A pair of shocking pink silk trousers – they were a birthday present from a relative and I wore them to a school disco and remember feeling embarrassed even then.
2) A set of Barbie hair ties when I was too old for Barbie and ashamed to be wearing them – I remember tucking my hair into the back of my jumper and hoping no one would see.
3) A pair of scarlet shiny sandals with about a 1inch heal. They were my first set of heals when I was about 9 and I remember feeling so grown up in them and wanting to wear them everywhere.
4) A red net tutu, a red and silver knitted poncho and a set of red fairy wings. My friends and I decided to dress up as different coloured fairies on the last day of sixth form. We thought it was cool at the time but looking at the photos now I can’t believe I ever stepped outside my bedroom door, let along the house looking like that.
5) A pink, bright blue and lime green T-shirt in a floral pattern. Truly truly awful.

Five favorite toys:
1) My laptop – I would be lost without it
2) My camera – I still don’t understand how they work but I love how they can capture a moment in time and allow you to look back to times and places which otherwise might be forgotten.
3) The oven – not a toy as such but without it I would be a very unhappy person
4) My little KA car – its given me independence, warmth and an extra hour at home in the evenings compared to catching the bus.
5) My baking tins and moulds

8 comments:

Johanna GGG said...

great answers - I especially smiled at your 'bad habit' of tasting too much of your cooking - that is me too! It is nice that your love of cooking comes through so strongly. Thanks for the tag - will do it soon(ish)

Anonymous said...

I loved reading your answers to these questions Katie - they really express your character and your love of baking. I too enjoy browsing in kitchen shops and always want to buy things, but then I have the problem of finding storage space when I get home.

Elle said...

Great meme Katie! Your answers really show that you are a cook and baker and even your 'faults' are adorable. After all if you are reading cookery books, why bother with washing up until later? Sounds about right to me :)

Anonymous said...

We share a lot of "bad habits". Maybe it's because we're both Tauruses? Great meme!

Pixie said...

It's great to get to know you and this sounds like a fun meme. Thanks for the tag, I'll post it at some point during the next few weeks!

Naomi Devlin said...

All you fashion mistakes sound like my party dress up box - still working that roller-girl, fifties prom look.

Thanks for tagging me - I just wrote a meme a couple of weeks ago, but I'll give this one a shot after half term. Unless I get some precious time to myself. Hoho...

Can we pick how many we answer or is it the whole thing - it's alot of info to get through.

x x x

Katie said...

Hi Naomi,
I think you are meant to answer them all, but as long as you list the other questions on your site for future tagged people I don't see why you couldn't pick and choose your questions.

Johanna GGG said...

Hi Katie - I have done the tag - although I am not good at following instructions with these things and so have done a bit of nip and tuck to incorporate other memes and also didn't tag people because it seemed quite a few people I meant to tag with an earlier tag had already been tagged (including yourself). But had fun anyway.