Thursday 26 April 2007

Thank You Brownies

As you may be aware it was my birthday a few days ago and I received lots of lovely gifts including an amazing 9 cookery books! One of them was Green & Blacks book of Chocolate Recipes, a truly indulgent book that was given to me by Chris. Chris is a complete chocoholic and he said he would be more than happy to taste test anything I made from it. Hint, hint.

So as a thank you, I made him some chocolate brownies and took them round to him the following evening. He was very happy and ate not one but four, yes FOUR within the hour! That must have resulted in a serious sugar rush, but he said they were too good to resist.

These brownies are the sweet, gooey-chewy kind rather than the light spongy kind, which in my option make for a more decedent brownie. They are light, very moist with a crisp surface coating and a gooey chocolate interior. The recipe I used wasn’t actually from the Green & Blacks book as I originally intended as their brownies used mashed cherries and I wasn’t sure what to replace them with as Chris doesn’t like anything with his chocolate, expect perhaps more chocolate. So instead I adapted a recipe by Sarah Beeny from an old episode of the F-Word. The original can be viewed here.

These brownies are also my contribution to ‘Brownie Babe’ event hosted by Myriam from Once Upon A Tart. They may not look anything special, but they taste yummy and I have found that keeping things simple can give the best results.

Gooey-Chewy Choc Chip Brownies

Ingredients
115g butter
25g dark chocolate
115g plain flour
3 tbsp cocoa powder
2 eggs
40g white chocolate
230g caster sugar

Method
Preheat the oven to 170C. Line the base and sides of an 8inch/20cm square tin with foil. Do this by cutting a big piece and carefully pushing it into the tin and up the sides. Then brush the base with a little oil to prevent the batter from sticking.
Break the dark chocolate into pieces and add to a large bowl along with the butter. Heat in the microwave until the butter has melted, stir until the chocolate has all melted in.
Add the flour, cocoa powder and sugar to the warm butter mixture and beat until smooth and thick.
Then beat the eggs in, one at a time. Chop the white chocolate into little chunks and fold into the batter.
Pour into the lines tin and bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes until a crust has formed but the middle is still very soft.
Allow to cool for 15 minutes in the tin before lifting onto a chopping board with the help from the foil.
Cut into 12 segments whilst still warm and lift the whole lot onto a cooling wrack. Serve warm or allow to cool completely before storing.
Makes 12

Update: The complete round-up of everyones enteries can be viewed here.

4 comments:

myriam said...

you are so darn right: simple is often best! they look yum! thanks for joining! m

Brilynn said...

Ooey and gooey is just the way I like them, those look delicious!

Anonymous said...

your brownies look great! how much sugar should I use with your recipe? it's not listed there...is one cup of sugar enough?

thanks.

Calla

Katie said...

Hi Calla,

Thanks for letting me know I had forgotten to add the sugar to the ingredients list. Can't believe I didn't notice that. Many thanks

Katie :)